Sunday 10 July 2011

.. tells a thousand words.





The old adage ... time will tell, rings true in my ears at the moment. Had I discovered the photographic bug, that I have now, twenty-five years ago my life may have been entirely different.

My photography journey started back in primary school, my pop had a 1950's box brownie... from memory I don't think I took many photos with it though. I was intrigued with all things camera related... at school I looked for and read everything I could about them... most of which I promptly forgot, as you do. In high school I kind of lost my photographic focus, cooking was my love with horses and motorbikes following closely behind.

After my school career had come to an end I was re-introduced to photography by a good friend who's daughter had terminal cancer. We would all go out to a park have a picnic, and snap some pics... I was designated photographer as he wanted, understandably, as many pics with his angel as possible. His camera of choice was the Minolta 7000 AF SLR.... in its time an awesome camera indeed. I learnt much about photography with this camera. However I feel the need to say I took probably thousands of shots and only a few hundred that I would actually call 'a good photo'.

For years after that Minolta I could only afford the ever more popular point and shoot mindless digital camera... don't get me wrong they take a very good photo but if you really want to take a great photo and compose it yourself you really do need a digital SLR.... and that brings me to my baby... I am now the proud (and grateful, thanks Erica) owner of a Canon 5oD..... it is a far better camera than I am photographer so it helps me push my abilities. As for lenses I have a Canon 50mm prime, a Canon 18-55 mm, a Canon 55-250, a Tamron 10-24 wide angle and a Sigma 150-400.... I need (yes Erica, need) a Canon 100mm USM macro .... but that will come later.

What kind of photos I hear you ask.... well I try my hand at just about everything. Landscapes, sunrise, sunsets, bike races, wildlife, kids, basically if it can be photographed I am up for a session. Being able to get out in the darkness of pre-dawn, watching bikes go round and round a race track or sitting neck deep in a still creek to capture that elusive shot moves my soul, it cleanses my mind and completes me.... I hope you get as much enjoyment out of photography as I do.....

I am interested in knowing what photography means to you?

3 comments:

  1. I've only just got back into photography thanks to a wonderful guy in my life he went out and brought me the Canon 550D twin lens kit which I'm in love with.

    We have only had it for just over a month and got a very good deal for it I cant wait til we take more pics with it.

    One thing I would suggest you do is to watermark your pictures in some way if your going to publish them on the net as some people do like to steal pics and claim them as their own (so I've been told, this has not happened to me as yet)

    (((( Hugs )))) XXXX Kisses XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I'm thankful for phones with cameras makes keeping memories easier. Photography is such a lovely gift to have. Keep it always & enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have loved taking pictures since I was very young. I entered a picture in a contest for the first time in 1962. (I won a minor Honorable Mention.) My first roll of color film was for the 1964 NY Worlds Fair. At first it was mostly about chronicling the things I did, but later it started to take on a more artistic look. Between college and when Iris was born, I was constantly looking to see what would make a good/interesting picture. But once she was born I fell into the "daddy taking pictures of his kids" mode. I have only recently come out of that and gone back into looking for the "special" picture. I miss my old Contax RTS (and the lenses I have for it) but have moved into the digital era. In the market now for a DSLR - but have been using my snapshot camera on manual a lot now - giving me almost as much flexibility as a DSLR.

    ReplyDelete